|Location||Kingston upon Hull, England|
|Public transit access||Hull Paragon Interchange (10 minute walk)|
The Hull and East Riding Museum is located in the Museums Quarter of the Old Town in Kingston upon Hull, England. It dates back to 1925 as the Museum of Commerce and Industry in a former Customs House but acquired its present name in 1989 with a major refurbishment and new entrance, with the transport section moving to a separate museum. It displays items from prehistoric to medieval in the area, many of them in life-size tableaux or reconstructions of rooms and buildings.
Building number 36 on the High Street was a customs house. It was replaced by a new building, Hull Corn Exchange, in 1856, but later fell into disuse and disrepair. The structure was refurbished and opened as a museum in 1925, being the Museum of Commerce and Industry. It was damaged by bombs during the Second World War but renovated and reopened as the Archaeology and Transport Museum in 1957.
In 1989 the museum was given its present name, and was refurbished as the transport collection moved to a new adjacent museum called Streetlife Museum of Transport. The museum underwent a further major makeover between 1998 and 2003 as part of the creation of the Museums Quarter, with the main entrance transferred from the High Street to the central courtyard.
This includes a tableau of a woman as a gatherer and explanations of the diet and technology of early humans. There are stone tools and Bronze Age pottery, metal goods and wooden carvings. Many of these were collected by notable archaeologist John Robert Mortimer (1825–1911).
This shows the Hasholme Logboat, some 41.9-foot-long (12.78 m) and 4.6-foot-wide (1.4 m) carved from a single oak tree, dating back to about 300 BC. There is also part of one of three Ferriby Boats from about 2000 BC, the oldest known sewn plank boats in Europe.
This includes a reconstruction of part of the Roman settlement of Petuaria (modern day Brough, East Riding of Yorkshire). Large (actual) mosaics are displayed as they would have been within houses. A Roman bath house contains not only an original mosaic, but also a life-sized bather. There are also a workshop, office and shop, in which artifacts from the time are displayed as if for sale. A humorous feature is the Latin graffiti Romani ite domum ("Romans go home") on the wall of a building.
The museum displays a number of mosaics which were found at the sites of Roman villas at Rudston, Brantingham and Harpham in the East Riding, and at Horkstow in north Lincolnshire. They are considered to be the best collection of late Roman mosaics to be seen in Britain.
These depict life in East Yorkshire from the end of Roman occupation (AD 410) to the outbreak of the English Civil War including the Saxons, the Vikings and Mediaeval Hull. This includes coins, weapons, stone carvings and everyday objects.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hull and East Riding Museum.|